We now have different ad strategies and formats effective enough to convince millennials and gen Z without disturbing their experience. And how about the “oldies” among ad units? Are popunder ads still ruling the market? Are banner ads capable of making good ROI? Which format is better for advertisers and publishers, popunder on banner ads? That’s what will be under review in this informative guide.
You want to start a winning ad campaign but you are not sure if you should opt for popunder or banner ads? This post will help you decide.
- What are display banner ads?
- Pros of banner ads for advertisers and publishers
- Cons of banner ads for advertisers and publishers
- What are popup and popunder ads?
- Pros of popunder ads for advertisers and publishers
- Main cons of popunder ads for advertisers and publishers
- Why advertisers and publishers still prefer popunder ads in 2022
- How to advertise with pop ads: tips for advertisers
- Monetization with pop ads: tips for publishers
- How to advertise with banner ads: tips for advertisers
- Monetization with banner ads: tips for publishers
- Final thoughts
What are display banner ads?
A banner ad is rectangular image-based content displayed on a web page to advertise a product, service, or brand to web users.
Also known as web ads, banner ads could be static .png or .jpg images or animated Flash multimedia. Banners have been around for quite some time, and you will find them on lots of websites because they generate enough clicks and are easy to create.
Pros of banner ads for advertisers and publishers
One of the most basic benefits of this style of ad is that the ad content isn’t difficult to notice. Every internet user already sees them on almost every site they visit.
So with the most suitable design and strategy in place, banner ads could drive massive traffic, particularly when delivered to the right audience.
Easy to create
Another vital reason you should opt for banners is that they are easy to design. The use of an image makes it easy to convey so much information to viewers at one glance. What is even more interesting is that you can design your banner ads with ease, using tools like Canva, Google Web Designer, Fotor, and Pixl.
You can also produce several designs to suit the target audience at each point of the way. It works better than recycling the same content to different sets of people.
Familiar to users
These ads are some of the oldest ad formats in use. How this argument can help? This means boomers and even millennials are pretty used to seeing them. While it could be detrimental in a way, it’s still a trusted approach to build user reach and brand awareness.
Some experts suggest that visitors are not offended by banners as much as by other ad formats.
Inexpensive for advertisers. Profitable for publishers
With lots of rivaling ad formats (like in-page push or Social Bar), banners remain one of the most inexpensive ways of advertising. Advertisers still rely on them when running global-scale campaigns. Low CPMs may sound like good news for merchants, but how about publishers? They profit, too. Even with discreet payout, they enjoy a near 100% fill rate with ads that continually bring predictable revenue.
Straightforward and transparent
Display banner ads are the most transparent ad formats—making it easy for potential customers to identify with them. When targeted toward the precise audience, banners tend to amount a high CTR. They also have a penetrating audience reach and average high viewability.
Align with web pages
People browse the internet with all sorts of devices, from mobile phones to tablets and desktop computers. Banners are easy to adjust to your web page’s responsive design. So irrespective of the device your potential customers are browsing on, they still get to enjoy their experience on your website and hopefully click the ads.
Using a suitable ad format gives you an edge and boosts the chances of getting prospective customers/clients to click your ad. There are various formats but for a vast reach and assured results, you can use our tailored ad formats here at Adsterra.
Cons of banner ads for advertisers and publishers
One of the main disadvantages of banner ads is also tied to an advantage: they are common. And as a result, users have become over-familiar with them. So much so that the campaigns hardly draw attention anymore; they can easily be ignored.
Banners are equally subject to adblock
As more sophisticated ad-blocking tools are developed from time to time, it becomes increasingly difficult for banners to escape adblock.
Dynamic banner ads could irritate users
Most advertisers and publishers use dynamic banners as a way of spicing things up, drawing viewers’ attention with blinking ads or ads with moving features. On one hand, this might be a step in the right direction but it could also irritate potential customers.
What are pop-up and popunder ads?
A popunder ad appears on a new window or tab behind your current browser window. They work like a coupon put at the bottom of your grocery pocket in a regular store. On the other side, a popup ad is an interface suddenly displayed to a viewer during their session on a website.
Both popups and popunders contain information intended to elicit an action from the web user, which could range from purchasing to booking a service with the advertiser.
However, popunders are different from pop-up ads; the latter format is much more obtrusive because it appears in front of the web user’s opened pages. Popunders are subtle and delicate, making them a very powerful ad format.
Pros of popunder ads for advertisers and publishers
Dynamic banner ads could irritate users
Talking of great user experience, popunder advertisements are excellent for digital marketing practices without shoving your brand, services, or practices down the throat of your audience, as they open in a new tab or window.
They generate massive views and traffic
Popunders seem to go unnoticed but they have proven to generate as much traffic and conversion as popups, especially on tablets and desktop devices. Thanks to their productivity, the demand for popunder ads will be fast on the rise in 2022.
Popunders are immune to adblockers
If you want an ad type with a high adblock immunity, pop-unders are your best shot. They neither trigger ad-blocking tools nor appear on the user’s current page.
No page format restrictions
A common obstacle with other ad formats is that they are limited in design. In essence, the advertiser needs to overlook the offer with a short heading and a picture. On the other side, publishers need to find ad space for placing banners. With popunders, neither the first ones nor the latter ones don’t face these troubles.
Advertisers have the entire page to make ads as inviting and convincing as possible. Publishers don’t have to redesign web pages, removing important content and smashing UX.
Popunders are excellent for retargeting
This format works exceptionally well for retargeting. You could use the ad type to provide all the necessary details, mouth-watering offers, etc. You cannot show most of this info to users the first time they encounter your ad.
So popunders increase your chances of winning customers who have not converted or reminding your existing viewers of new updates that might cause them to patronize you even further.
Main cons of popunder ads for advertisers and publishers
Not the best format for mobile devices
A major setback with this advertising style is that most mobile users find them annoying. But despite that and the fact that they usually cost more, many reports show that considering adequate targeting to relevant pages, it is still a reasonable investment.
Ads can be disabled
Although they are immune to most adblock tools, browsers have a setting for users to automatically close new windows. This drastically limits the reach of pop-unders.
Poor user attitude if not designed well
Mobile users are always on the lookout for quick information while browsing, so they might lack the patience to flip through opened tabs. When they meet yet another popunder they are more likely to close the tab …unless the ad captures, excites, thrills them offering real value. Not all advertisers are ready to produce a full-page advertising that will be that compelling.
Why advertisers and publishers will prefer popunder ads in 2022
Despite the few challenges, popunders are the preferred options for both advertisers and publishers in 2022. There are several points in favor of them you should consider.
- Pop ads still attract top verticals and offers: Sweepstakes, E-commerce, Dating, Gambling, Software, Games.
- Affiliate campaigns are still on top with pop ads ramping up ROI up to 315% with Crypto offers of ROI 286% with Gambling campaigns.
- Popunders stream unrivaled massive traffic. E.g., over 1B impressions monthly come solely from India.
- The only ad format that allows you to use compelling design and copy; it’s just as powerful as a landing page.
- The industry workhorse, popunders will continue driving huge traffic and stable revenues.
- All browsers find popunders edible, however, Chrome is more loyal to them.
- Chrome seems to be loyal to popunders. Latest updates tend to limit web push ads while pops remain as they were.
See how you can make over $1600 on running campaigns with Popunder traffic. A detailed casy study by our partner.
How to advertise with popunder ads in 2022: tips for advertisers
- With pops, it’s all about traffic volumes. You obtain loads of impressions from any GEO. But to check the performance it is better to create a separate campaign for each GEO.
- We don’t recommend setting too many traffic filters (over-optimization) at the start. Traffic tests should target widely. After the best
- Advertising with popunders has become far more sophisticated. Brands put efforts into designing credible and well-structured ads.
- When stepping into a new GEO, it is better to choose a simple conversion flow: trials, installs, opt-ins. If the endpoint is a deposit, beginners risk wasting all test budgets waiting for conversions.
- The pricing model is glued to the vertical and offer type. For Gambling products promotion and Crypto services advertising, the CPM pricing fits better as it allows for long-term traffic tests. On the other side, the CPA pricing hits when it comes to fast conversions: VPN trials, app installs, etc.
- Massive traffic demands strong management. Dividing traffic sources into bidding groups can help a lot. Not only blacklisting helps reduce costs and amp efficiency. Whitelists are perfect for selecting traffic that makes the majority of conversions. Greylists mark sources with middling performance.
Monetization with popunder ads: tips for publishers
- If your audience is not content-sensitive or your niche is not specific (e.g., religion), allow all traffic types (mainstream and non-mainstream). On Adsterra, you can pick all traffic types but limit specific ads like those with sound.
- You start getting profit almost immediately. The CPM rate might be lower at the start, but you should wait a couple of days until advertisers can estimate your traffic and set a new CPM rate.
- Pay attention to the instructions on where to put your popunder code. When placed incorrectly, the code will not work. Make sure your Popunder ad network is trustworthy. Look through a couple of reviews made by monetization gurus.
- Pops are very friendly to other ads as they don’t intrude user navigation on the website. Consider adding native banners or Social Bar on the same page to increase revenue.
- Don’t rush over setting higher frequency for popunders (the number of times a user can see ads). In the beginning, this strategy may work, but after users get annoyed with multiple new tabs, they will finally churn from your website. See how frequency capping may turn down CPM rates.
How to advertise with banner ads: tips for advertisers
- When it comes to banners, it is better to reach out to your account manager. The oldest industry format has many hidden hazards. Your manager is aware of all dos and don’ts about banners for your industry, and particularly, your offer.
- Come up with several banner designs; you will need to switch them during your campaign as users tend to get bored of the same ads..
- Use contrast colors for background and headings.
- Choose various banner sizes for A/B tests and adapt your design to each size carefully.
- Use clear CTAs that state value. Avoid dull phrases like “Learn more” or “See all items.”
- Create a sense of urgency. Use the FOMO effect along with scarcity and exclusivity accents.
Monetization with banner ads: tips for publishers
- Combine a couple of banner sizes on one web page to increase your profit.
- Don’t oversaturate your website with banners. When putting too many, banners become annoying, and users ignore them all along with your website.
- Build stable quality traffic as advertisers value conversions, not only impressions and clicks.
- Maximize the ad earning for a particular session by interlinking your blog pages to make users drill down as much web content as possible.
Popunders or banner ads? Which would you opt for? Pop ads and banners are two of the most effective ad formats widely in use in the digital marketing space.
Popunders will attract more traffic quickly; they are versatile. They can be adopted to drive sales of products or services, increase email lists, or achieve any other end goal of the advertiser. By registering Adsterra, you embrace the whole world getting access to the immense popunder traffic of over 2B impressions weekly. This format is a true leader.
Banners, on the other hand, will work perfectly for brand awareness and for more cost-effective vast-reach campaigns. They’re great as a supportive ad format, too.
If you eager to earn on popunder or banner traffic, you’re welcome to add your website to Adsterra. Highest CPMs on the market and 24/7 support are here for you!
Are you an advertiser looking for genuine, clean traffic! Our 18K publishers are here for you!