Adsterra publishers and webmasters use all-star ad formats to monetize desktop and mobile traffic. They grow income with Popunders, Display and Native Banners, VAST Videos, and Social Bar (in-page push). Those who don’t have websites at all or have low Alexa ranks use our instant-money Direct Link tool. With this boiled-down guide to profitable Adsterra ad formats for publishers, you learn all possible ways to increase passive income.
You probably don’t want to waste days weeding out useless tutorials and guides looking for the most suitable way to profit. Well, now you don’t have to. In 7 minutes, you:
- Get a list of the most profitable advertising formats.
- See which units fit your website, app, or blog perfectly and which to avoid.
- Learn their monetization potential.
- Get links to explore each format.
No more preludes. Let the good ads roll!
What are ad formats for publishers?
To begin with, let’s figure out what an ad format is.
“Ad format” is the most suitable way to display a product so that it has a great visual impact. Advertisers (or merchants) must convince users to buy goods and services. In our digital age, they can use lots of multimedia means to do that. They pack ads in various formats: banners, push notifications, videos etc.
To get as many eyeballs as possible, advertisers need to show the chosen formats on various websites. And these are publishers who sell space on their web pages to show different ads to their visitors (aka traffic).
Ad networks connect those who need traffic (advertisers) and those who sell it (publishers). What they do is provide special codes or scripts that you can put on a web page, and different ads will start rotating for your users.
Earlier, we shared a guide to differences between advertisers and publishers.
It’s only yesterday that advertisers would spend all budgets on banners. Times have changed, and with users sticking to their mobiles watching TikToks, promotion solutions have also become more up-to-date.
Adsterra publishers earn over $30M yearly with hit ad formats. But which is the most profitable ad format for publishers? Those that send you high payouts and those that fit your traffic! The only mastery is to learn them all and manage according to trends. So let’s list all ad units and see HOW you can monetize them.
- Popunder (the evergreen format with tons of adverts).
- Social Bar push ads.
- Native Banner.
- VAST Video Pre-Roll.
- Display Banner.
- Smart Direct Link (a tool to earn even without a website).
🤔 Popunder is full-page advertising that… will never appear on your website. Why? This ad format for publishers always appears in a new tab or browser window when a user clicks anywhere on the web page.
👍 Popunder advantages:
- it doesn’t require any space, so you won’t have to look for a place to put it;
- the ad doesn’t overlap your web content;
- it’s the most demanded ad format among advertisers;
- pops bring high and stable payouts;
- the least disturbing format that allows users to consume your content first;
- pop ads perfectly match websites with multimedia content or those saturated with other visuals.
⛔️ Points to consider: use more than three Popunders in a row — users lose their patience and interest quite quickly. Too many pops on site is rather a disadvantage than a source of benefit.
Become a master publisher running Popunder ads like those who earned ~$4,000 weekly. Read this guide.
🤔 Social Bar or the advanced in-page push ad format for publishers is available on Adsterra exclusively. It differs from traditional web push because it doesn’t require users to subscribe. That means you can use 100% of web and mobile traffic.
You get Social Bar as a single line of code, but it includes many neat and OS-friendly ads. Of course, a user can see only one ad at a time, and while navigating web pages, they meet other visuals, which makes them click again and again.
👍 Social Bar advantages:
- monetization of all traffic: Social Bar is ultra-friendly and run on all OS;
- ads look neat and catchy on mobiles, too, so you won’t miss a single impression;
- generating massive clicks and raising CPM rates as a consequence;
- attracting more highly paying advertisers from Tier 1 and Tier 2;
- bypassing AdBlock.
⛔️ Main precautions: it is highly unrecommended to use more than one Social Bar code on a separate web page. Users might get tired of seeing multiple interactive ads at a time.
🤔 The Interstitial ad format for publishers looks like a full-screen banner. Users either need to click on a “close” button to continue with your website content or follow the advertising link.
👍 Advantages of interstitial ads:
- more users click on ad links and complete conversions, so you will definitely be paid higher;
- ads don’t require a fixed space on the website;
- the format is on top of demand (Google uses the same ads, and they really rock).
⛔️ Main disadvantages:
- if you have a website where users interact with content in real time (like with game streaming), ads may interrupt their actions;
- the sensitive audience may not like the format if they click on ads instead of closing them;
- if users seldom visit pages except for the homepage, you might not get high profits with interstitials.
As Interstitials come with the Social Bar unit, you won’t find them on your dashboard as a separate format. Please drop us a line in the live chat, and we will provide you with the code.
🤔 Native Banner ads usually appear as a block of images with headings. Publishers love this format as it completely blends with site content and matches users’ interests simultaneously.
👍 Native Banners’ advantages:
- they match any website category;
- native ads look credible, and people don’t hesitate to click on them;
- Adsterra algorithms show those ads that match your visitors’ interests;
- you can customize Native Banners according to your website design and structure.
- nativity is key to great payouts, so you don’t need to choose contrast fonts or colors that differ from your website layout;
- placing native ads to the footer of the website may return zero CPM users don’t usually scroll that far;
- ad overusing is always a drawback, and native banners are not an exclusion; try not to add several ad sections to one page.
Where to place Native ads to collect all clicks and great payouts? Get all expert tips in this expert guide.
🤔 Display or static banners are images of various sizes that publishers can add to a header, a footer, a sidebar, or other inner parts of the web page. With Adsterra, you can request all banner sizes: 160×300, 160×600, 300×250, 320х50, 728×90, 468×60.
👍 Advantages of display banners:
- they show terrific results on websites with massive traffic;
- thanks to multiple sizes, any publisher can find a place for banner ads;
- there are many advertisers from gaming, software, eCommerce verticals that still seek banner ads.
⛔️ Possible pitfalls:
- banners are too recognizable; you need to place them on specific ad spaces (like sidebars) so not to intrude users’ navigation;
- the audience of some website categories like personal journalist’s blogs and scientific magazines may react negatively;
- like with native ads, when placed on the footer, a banner may return low CPM if your audience doesn’t reach this part of the page.
Want to know all strengths and weaknesses of banners to make them stream you money? Dive into this guide to Banner Ad Format for publishers.
🤔 VAST video pre-roll ad is a short promotional video shown in the player before the video content itself. You only have to get the ad code from Adsterra and add it to the player you are using.
👍 Advantages of a VAST format:
- you can monetize any video content, even if you have only one track to play;
- users who are intending to watch video content are more likely to interact with advertising;
- video ads are more than trendy; there are always many advertisers with impressive bids for traffic.
- this ad format for publishers will keep evolving, producing more options for monetization.
⛔️ Possible difficulties:
- VAST is not the most accessible format to work with, as you have to integrate a player first;
- before start monetizing with any video content, you need to make sure your website content loads fast;
- as the VAST format will only appear in the video player, you need to have truly engaging video content to make users want to watch it.
🤔 Adsterra Smart Direct Link is the easiest-to-use ad format. Simply put, it’s a URL you get from Adsterra and place anywhere on your website (e.g., piece of text content or an image). When a user clicks on the Link, our algorithm gets their GEO, device, connection type, preferences…and shows the most relevant ad.
But what if you don’t have a website? The Link is still your No1 choice because you can place it inside a mobile app (APK file) or use it to lead traffic from social media accounts: Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, etc.
👍 Advantages of Direct Link:
- it suits all websites, even those that don’t have any space for ads;
- you simply add the Link to any web page element and monetize from those users who click on it;
- you can earn with no website at all by putting the Link in your mobile app (APK file);
- Direct Link is the best ad format for publishers that work with social traffic (Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, etc.).
⛔️ Main limitations:
- if you’re running a blog that strictly covers one topic like parenthood (it’ll be pretty hard to match your audience’s preferences);
- avoid placing Direct Link on navigation or “purchase confirmation” buttons as it may interrupt users from making the core action.
As promised, we’ve kept our guide short and simple. If you feel you need more details, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team; we’re here for you 24/7 (see the live chat icon in the lower corner of the screen).
On the Adsterra Self-Service Platform, you can enjoy the one-minute website approval and real-time revenue control, making Adsterra one of the best AdSense alternatives for those who want to capitalize on their traffic.
Adsterra cares about our publishers’ business regardless of its size and traffic volume. So, you can be sure to get:
- 15NET payouts starting from $5 (for Paxum and WebMoney).
- +5% lifelong extra income with the referral program.
- Near-100% fill rate with offers.
- High-paying advertisers.
- Clean feed and anti-malware protection.
- Caring and expert managers always ready to help 🤗
Become a part of a community of passionate pros who grow their business with a safe and reliable advertising network!