The Interstitial ad format is now available for all advertisers owning Adsterra self-serve accounts. This nearest Popunder rival has already made a splash, accounting for up to 50% of all ad requests in Social Bar campaigns on managed accounts. VPN, Finance, E-commerce, Antivirus Apps, Dating, and iGaming industries achieved the most impressive results.
You, too, can grab the highest-value audiences with influential creatives starting from…today!
What are Interstitial ads by Adsterra?
If you see just one big banner on a vignetted layer overlaying the web page you’re reading, it’s Interstitial. It usually appears on top of a website’s content, so users can’t ignore your message.
Ads are full-screen, consisting of the main visual and a background. The background has a vignette effect, with 70% transparency. Visuals are large enough to cover a significant portion of the screen. They are designed to be impossible to overlook, as they are overlaid on top of the user’s browsed content.
Typical ad elements
- Large picture or text area with the main ad message
- Heading & description (optional)
- Darkened area around the image, covering the whole screen
- Call to action (usually, a button with a text)
- “Close” icon in the corner or other option to close the ad
- Additional layout elements that make this template more attractive.
The advertisement itself takes up 45% to 80% of the webpage, with the remaining area being filled with a darkened background. Visuals differ by layout, main elements, and engagement techniques.
The Interstitial ad is a Social Bar’s subformat, and that’s great!
Instead of adding a separate ad unit and making you set up one more ad campaign, we placed Interstitials inside our top-performing Social Bar. You will need to pick Social Bar as a preferred ad unit and then hit the last tab.
Why’s it so great? You can utilize totally different visuals and run A/B tests with up to 15 of them within one campaign.
Benefits of Interstitials ads by Adsterra
- The format is compliant with common UX guidelines.
- The brand-friendliest ad: you can add brand name, logo, slogans, etc.
- You’ll find it super-easy to upload creatives
- Unprecedented viewability
- Your ad offer is the first in a row compared to those demonstrated on page
- You deliver the whole message, so you may NOT need a prelander (not necessarily)
- The most accessible conversions come with cost-per-install, cost-per-download, and cost-per-lead flow.
- Competitive CPM rates: you don’t need to pay more for a better ad placement
How Interstitials help you hit marketing goals
- Scale your Popunder campaign with new high-value traffic segments.
- Add a breakthrough creative type to your Social Bar campaign and win the hottest leads.
- Re-engage target users who didn’t convert previously. It’s not about remarketing but about redesigning your ad message most attractively.
- Increase CTR and CR and meet your KPIs if you’re an agency or affiliate.
- Stay nice and friendly, offering the smoothest user experience.
- Offer a more immersive yet pleasant experience compared to pop-up windows, which are a bit outdated way of advertising.
A shortcut to higher CR and ROI: Setting up a campaign
Like we said in the intro, you need an Advertiser’s account to make the magic happen. No worries, you can sign up and tweak all settings without putting in any funds.
1. Once you log in, hit the CREATE CAMPAIGN button from the upper panel or navigate to the list icon and click it, choosing Campaigns >> Create.
Creating a campaign starts with primary settings like Traffic type, Connection type, Pricing type, Device format, Landing URL, Country, and Bid.
You must select every setting thoroughly, but today, we will only walk through some of them. You can always check these super-helpful tutorials and get back to them when starting out a campaign:
- How to Set Up Successful Campaigns
- Fast Onboarding for Advertisers and Affiliates
- All About Basic Targeting Settings
- Postback Setup Guide
Today, we aim to observe just one option, the Ad Unit and its components. Let’s only focus on handling this.
Adding the ad unit and designing creatives
2. Please choose Interstitial from the AdUnit Category field to proceed. One important note here: the pricing type may vary depending on the Ad Unit. Here you have all two payment models available: CPM and CPA.
3. Now scroll down to the Creatives section. There are several main skins in front of you. Let’s pick the first Big Banner skin to examine what’s under the hood.
A desktop creative will contain two images: one for the main visual of 600 x 400 px (up to 350 Kb) and one icon of 192×192 px (up to 350 Kb). Also, we can add a custom heading and a description — both are limited in characters.
And finally, we can add a customized call to action to a big button below, also limited to 30 characters.
That’s almost full customization – we only frame the size of your visual. The same flexibility you can enjoy while adjusting the other three skins.
Finalizing the setup
4. After you upload visuals and add all creatives (up to 15), you can carry on with the campaign settings.
Choose a country you target. We recommend starting with fewer filters, allowing as much traffic as possible for the test. But still, a general rule is “one campaign — one country,” especially if you’re new to Adsterra.
Next, add a bid. You have an in-built adviser, Adsterra Traffic Estimator, to recommend a competitive payout for 1,000 views.
Finally, you enter your total and daily budget. It’s a reasonable practice to avoid spending too much within 24 hours.
You can send the campaign for verification now, but it’ll blast off only after you top up the account.
5. As we said, we don’t start any campaign now. But if you do, ensure you’ve entered the correct landing URL, enabled postback tracking, and put funds to fire out as soon as we approve the campaign.
Interstitial ads by Adsterra: Best practices for maximum impact
Targeting and budgeting
- Allow Smart CPM algorithms to bid for you: this tool participates in real-time auctions, offering bids needed to win the best traffic from your targeting.
- Optimize CPM traffic for conversions by enabling CPA Goal.
- Wait to put lots of traffic filters when on the test period; it’s better to run your campaign with broader targeting and narrow it down after you realize which placements convert better.
- Add as many creatives as possible using different skins/templates.
- Offer discounts, bonuses, and bargains instead of bluntly informing your audience.
- Add texts to the main image, but avoid writing long copies: your primary weapon is visuals.
- Amaze, tease, shock, but don’t overdo: your ad must stay credible yet honest.
- Clickbait is everything when done right: use the power of heading full blast, presenting your unique offer.
Example: “We paid $3M to our players last month”
- Appeal to actual values and numbers: use stats to convince users and discounts to make them convert.
- Limit your offer by time when possible: when users are sure they’re missing out on a good bargain, they’re more likely to convert.
Interstitial ads FAQs:
We can’t claim Popunders are less effective when launched correctly. However, traffic differs from one format to another, and if you look for more volumes, scale the campaign with Interstitials. You’ll get more eyeballs, for sure.
Partnering with Adsterra, you own a set of smart tools and methods to reduce ad costs. Enable Smart CPM bidding to allow intelligent algorithms to win auctions at the best price. Or, rely on the CPA Goal tool, which will optimize CPM traffic by the number of conversions or eCPA you enter.
Ad fatigue is the closest synonym for Banners. Still, we believe in banners’ supportive impact while advertising globally, so we recommend choosing Interstitials to outcompete rivals. It’s the most viewable ad.
Interstitials are included in Social Bar ads, and it means you can check the minimum bids for this format. We update rates regularly, rolling out the complete list in the Help Center. For instance, Jamaica’s minimum CPM for mobile/tablet traffic is $0,007.
Minimum bids for the Social Bar CPM campaign.
By default, your ads are shown once every 24 hours. But you can change it to 1 / 12, for instance, to increase the number of views.
An Interstitial ad can speed up the sale if you offer a discount and lead users to a page with this discount that is already “on.” So, E-commerce brands love using this format for promoting seasonal sales or engaging users to download their apps.
What else? Interstitials can jump-start every target action, such as installs, downloads, signups, opt-ins, lead form filling, and many more. Therefore, VPNs, Antiviruses, Cleaners, Social Apps, and Video Apps prefer this ad unit.
How about iGaming and Finance? Offer an excellent bargain like a bonus added after the first deposit of a premium set of services for a limited period: you can be sure to generate quality conversions.
Traffic is volatile, but there’s one trick to get hold of accurate daily data. Hit the Traffic Chart tab from your account and adjust the filters to meet your targeting.
And speaking of average volumes, Adsterra can boast of providing you with massive traffic from every continent. We send 4B+ impressions from Asia and 1.2B from Europe weekly.
Well, both. Adsterra ad creatives fit most mobile and desktop screens, staying user-friendly. Depending on your target device type, you can preview how the ad will look on desktops or mobiles while setting up a campaign.
By default, Adsterra asks you to pick either Desktop or Mobile (with or without Tablets) traffic. This is important for further campaign analysis. Without splitting traffic, analyzing the campaign result and weed out the underperforming placements may be challenging.
Interstellar ads take off today…with Interstitial templates!
Whether you’re planning to increase conversion rates or boost clicks, new Interstitial templates are a must-try thing. Practice converts better than tutorials, so take advantage of the newest creatives today!